Saturday, November 25, 2006

Hectic time

Hi people, I'm sorry I haven't been posting anything recently or replying to your fabulous emails, but I've been having a total nightmare with the flat. The people who moved in prompty sealed the whole place up - no windows open, no ventilation, nothing - and then proceeded to cook masses of food, dry their laundry in the living room, take showers with the bathroom door open, and so on. In short, after ten days mould started to grow all over one wall and the doors started to swell and stick and the curtains started to go mouldy (really), and then after a MONTH the husband mentioned this to me as a sort of PS in an email when I said I was coming round to inspect the place. So I went round with Neil and there was mould all over my beautiful flat which they'd halfheartedly tried to wipe off, leaving brown smears everywhere, and pools of water on all the windowsills. And it was unbelievibly humid, like some sort of tropical slum. So Neil rang Environmental Health and they said it was definitely condensation, and we came back with a dehumidifier and explained to the wife that the windows need to be opened sometimes and that unfortunately as the damage was caused by the tenants they would have to pay for repainting the wall with antifungicidal paint. Then the husband phoned me that evening and stared yelling at me, so I passed the phone over to Neil and he said to Neil that "trust had been broken" and that it was our fault and that he was getting independent legal advice and that we were trying to rip him off and that he wanted to leave and that he wasn't paying and that we'd intimidated his wife and that we would hear from his solicitor. The whole thing is making me feel sick, even just writing about it. Thank god for Neil, he was so calming and reassuring. I don't want people ruining my beautiful home, it is a horrible feeling. I wrote to him offering to pay a third of the paint costs as a goodwill gesture but the whole thing is making me miserable and I have to go over again this evening to inspect the damage and I'm worried he will be unpleasant and aggressive again. So that's been my week. How are you guys?

7 comments:

Emily K. Lloyd said...

oh you poor thing - you havent had much luck with people in that flat have you?

Its pretty obvious that the husband knows hes in the wrong and is trying to intimidate you into dropping the charge for repainting the flat. im sure any legal representative he would get would have agree with you: ultimately if he damages the flat then he has to pay. It should be in his lease agreement.

And definitely take Neil with you when you go back round there - the guy sounds like a nutter- well actually they both do....

Stay calm, breathe lots and know youre in the right and it will get sorted out.

Emily K. Lloyd said...

ps - i like the new colour of your blog, very soothing

Mittens said...

Thank you for your calming words. I have gone all Zen about it - I have done what I can and there is nothing more to be done at the moment. I did write a letter pointing out the relevant clauses in his lease so now we just wait and see what happens. How is your house moving going Emily? Are you definitely selling it?

Lilly said...

Deep breaths. I'm tempted to say big breaths but that reminds me of a very silly joke. But then I am watching Animal House at the oment with my housemate so it's probably entirely appropriate.

How did the meeting go with him Becca? Are things sorted out?

Mittens said...

Well, he was calmer but refuses to accept responsibility. He is basically saying that the problem was there before he moved in and that I lied to him. Not going to think about it now. I have to reply to a letter of his but I'll worry about that tomorrow.

Emily K. Lloyd said...

yes Im still moving but not until May. Im ignoring all of that until after term finishes at which point I will have to find myself a realtor...

Other big news: ive put my xmas tree up and it looks great :)

Lilly said...

Christmas tree, yay! The only decoration I've bothered with here is 3 Lindt reindeer, lined up on the mantelpiece. Sion thinks I'm trying to torment him. I give him about 3 days and then I reckon he'll crack and eat at least one.